Friday, Oct 8 – Countdown to Game Day
At 1pm be a part of history at the University by joining the dedication of the Siebel Center of Design! No registration required – feel free to join at 1208 South Fourth St., Champaign
Keep the music going – meet at Alma Mater at 10pm to join the “Marching Illini Drumline Friday Night Hype”! What better way to end a great Friday and to get ready for the Homecoming game!
- Homecoming CLE: (College of Law) – We Have to Talk: Navigating Challenging Conversations about Diversity – 12:00 – 1:00pm
- Presented by Judge Debra Walker ’87 and Kendra Abercrombie (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Manager at Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism)
- Register here
- *Pending 1.0 hour of Professional Responsibility Credit
- Siebel Center for Design Dedication – 1:00pm
- Location: 1208 South Fourth St., Champaign
- Featuring remarks by Thomas M. Siebel
- For questions or if you need disability-related accommodations, please contact email@example.com or call 217-333-8834.
- Applied Health Sciences (AHS) Distinguished Alumni, Harold Scharper, and Young Alumni Awards Ceremony – Register Here – 3:00 – 5:00pm
- Location: 2001 Khan Annex at Huff Hall, 1206 South Fourth Street, Champaign
- Join alumni, friends, students, faculty, and staff as we celebrate the achievements of our AHS Distinguished Alumni, Harold Scharper, and Young Alumni award recipients. Reception will follow.
- Women’s Soccer vs. Wisconsin, (Demirjian Park) – 6:00pm
- Homecoming Band Concert – 7:30pm
- For tickets, click here
- Marching Illini Drumline Friday Night HYPE (Alma Mater) – 10:00pm
- U of I Community Interview with Wanda Ward and Jayne DeLuce
- Homecoming Recipes
U of I Community Interview with Wanda Ward and Jayne DeLuce
As you prepare for your Homecoming tailgate outside of Memorial stadium, in your driveway at home and wherever you plan to watch the game, we wanted to showcase some of the Chancellor Committee on Homecoming’s members favorite recipes for game days!
- Laura Wilhelm-Barr, Senior Director of Special Event, Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Terri Reifsteck, Vice President of Marketing & Community Engagement, Visit Champaign County, Calico Beans & Chili Dip
- Nick Dunn, Assistant Director, International Student and Scholar Services, Bacon-wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- Jayne DeLuce, President & CEO, Visit Champaign County, Quick & Easy Game Day Chili
Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Laura Wilhelm-Barr, Senior Director of Special Event
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 peach, peeled and diced
- 1 white peach, peeled and diced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1 nectarine, peeled and diced
- 1 pint of strawberries, tops removed and diced
Mix 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons peach preserves, juice of 1 lime, and a dash of cinnamon. Pour over fruit, stir, and chill.
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Butter cooking spray
Spray whole wheat tortillas on each side with butter cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix on each side. Slice tortillas into triangles with a pizza cutter. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until crispy. Serve with chilled fruit salsa.
Calico Beans & Chili Dip
Terri Reifsteck, Vice President of Marketing & Community Engagement, Visit Champaign County
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbs white vinegar
- 30oz can Pork & Beans
- 1-15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tube Jimmy Dean HOT ground sausage
- 1 can Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers without liquid
- Cook beef, bacon, and onion just until onions are tender, meat will not be fully cooked
- Stir in ketchup, mustard, vinegar, and brown sugar
- Combine all other ingredients, then stir in meat/sauce mixture from steps 1 and 2
- Put into a crock pot and serve
Bacon-wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
Nick Dunn, Assistant Director, International Student and Scholar Services
A classic make-ahead finger food, this recipe is equally popular served off a tailgate at 4th and Kirby or in front of the big screen at home.
- 12 jalapeño peppers
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut each jalapeño pepper in half from stem to tip. Limit the spice by removing seeds and ribs (white part). Like spice? Leave those seeds alone. Want to have a little fun? Remove seeds from only half the peppers!
- Combine cheeses in a mixing bowl. Slightly overfill each jalapeño half with cheese mix.
- Cut bacon strips in half and separate. Slightly stretch the bacon lengthwise. Wrap each pepper half with bacon, making a ring with the ends overlapping significantly.
- For best results, use a wire rack over a baking sheet. For still really good results, use a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place poppers on rack or sheet, ensuring they are not touching.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until bacon is fully cooked. Some like it crispy, with the cheese slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, and let cool before placing in airtight container to transport to tailgate or party.
Q: There will be more than one other person, I should double this recipe, right?
A: Absolutely right.
Q: I appreciate you making it “healthier” with the half bacon slice, but can I use a whole strip?
A: Sure can! This recipe results in a ring around the pepper. If you use a whole slice, try to make a helix along the length of the pepper, limiting bacon overlap, to ensure it cooks through and achieves maximum crispiness.
Q: Shouldn’t I wear gloves while handling peppers?
A: I never do, but better safe than sorry!
Quick & Easy Game Day Chili
Jayne DeLuce, President & CEO, Visit Champaign County
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 package McCormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix or McCormick 30% Less Sodium Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain fat.
- Stir in Seasoning Mix and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped onion, if desired.
Preparation time: 5 minutes // Cooking time: 20 minutes